May 4, 2015

The no-sew, redneck, fender covers!

Last week we had the boat washed and waxed! She's so purdy now!!!
You can just see the water dancing in the reflection on the boat!!! 

We have been putting it off for awhile now, but as you can see that fender {plastic cylinder used to protect the boat from any impact} hanging off the side of the boat, should have a cover over it so it doesn't scuff up the boat

Joe went to 'pay-more' {a local marine store here that I've dubbed pay-more, because well, you usually pay more for it here} and they were $33 for each cover. We have 6 fenders, so that would cost us $198 + tax.....Um, I don't think so!!! It's not like they're made of cashmere or silk, it's just cloth!!!

Ergo, the no-sew, redneck fender covers were made! Now, I can't take credit for this fender cover style because many a sailors before us have done just the same. However, the no-sew, redneck part might be mine to claim {doubt it}! 

I honestly was going to sew them, but laziness overcame me and I didn't want to go get the sewing machine out of storage and do all the set up because our boat doesn't really have the room for all of that, so.....

As my Pawpaw would've said, "I went down to the Walmarts" and got 3 pairs of ladies lounge pants. I bought 3XL so they  would be a nice, snug fit. Oh, and they were on clearance for $7/pair, so I only spent $21.....that's $12 less than what the other place charges for ONE cover!!

These are what the fenders look like uncovered....they didn't look good!

Starting at the bottom of the fender, you take the bottom of a pant leg and pull it over the fender like so....

Once you get it to the top of the fender, cut a small section out of the hem, but be careful not to cut into the bottom seam. 

Now, feed the para cord {we had some left over from another project} all the way through the existing hem....

Tie it off tight and tuck the ends under the cover....

Cinch up the material at the bottom, cut it and tie the excess into a double knot like so....

And, here's what it looks like all covered...

 And, hanging off the sides of the boat....

We decided we were only going to use 4 of the fenders so we wound up only using two of the pairs of pants. So all in all, we spent $15 {$14 + tax} for 4 covers versus $135 over at the other place. Sure, we had to do a little work to get them that cheap, but it was well worth the $120 savings to me....and, I really don't think they look all that redneck after all!!! 


1 comment:

  1. If you are having trouble commenting here on the blog, please notify me on our facebook page:
    facebook.com/foreverlivingirie
    so I can resolve this issue with blogger.

    Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete