May 29, 2015

Bolivar Peninsula & A Ferry Ride

We've had an awesome week, what with selling our house in Fort Worth {now we can buy the bigger boat} and me getting a job.....two things we've been waiting on for awhile now!!! So, we decided to take a celebratory mini mini road trip and go discover a new area!!! {I feel like the double mini clarifies that it wasn't really a true road trip even though we did drive to our destination} 

We drove down to Galveston, rode the ferry over to Bolivar Peninsula and walked Crystal Beach! By the way, this is the best beach for finding shells and bonus, you can even drive on the beach....so take a jeep or a truck!! I really don't understand why it's called crystal beach though, I didn't find any crystal, but I did find lots of shells....it should be Sandy's Seashell Beach! 
I can't believe in all twelve of our married years together & coming down to Galveston, this was the first time we have ever taken the ferry over to the peninsula....we even honeymooned in Galveston and had never been on it...cRaZy! Hubs hadn't been on the ferry since he was a kid. I may have been on it as a kid too, but I don't remember, I was a kid!! :)

Here's some pics of us boarding the ferry & going over towards Bolivar Peninsula...
7 mph....really? Why didn't they just say five? Oofta May!!
You can either drive on or walk on, but unless your goal is to only take the ferry back & forth, you're going to need a car  to get to the beach! 


One of the first things we came across was this cool looking lighthouse! Hard to believe I got such a great shot while we were driving down the road....going much faster than seven miles per hour, I might add! I love how it is framed between the houses!! So pretty :)

This was our setup! Our beautiful, seafoam Yeti stocked with ice cold drinks. A waterproof bluetooth speaker playing beachy music, baby powder to help get the sand off our feet & our cozy beach chairs!! 

And, this as our view....

I absolutely loved our little getaway!!!

I'm always telling hubs he needs to make friends & be sociable & he did good, however it backfired a wee bit with the 2nd couple. The first guy offered him yet another job....that man, I can't take him anywhere without him getting job offers. The second & very sketchy couple offered us drugs. We should've quit while we were ahead!  I then decided we might need to stick with making friends with this adorable little guy instead!!

All in all, this is the place to go if you're planning a trip to Galveston! I know this is probably going to sound weird, because it's not white sandy beaches and by no means, is the water any more blue here than on Galveston, but this is the best beach around!!! Softer sand, far less seaweed and shells....can't beat that!!

Oh, and did I mention, the ferry is free and runs 24 hours/day!

You never know what you'll see at the beach, but we thought this was pretty cool!!!

 










No comments:

Post a Comment