January 26, 2015

Spidey Senses

When living on a boat you come to know all the normal boat movements, after all, you are in water, so the boat is always moving. But after a while, you don't even feel it moving anymore {I tend to miss that feeling} what you do notice is, movement produced by a strong wind gust. You know what it feels like when someone gets on your boat vs. the feeling of bumping into the dock and in turn, squishing your fender & the noise that makes. 

Joe used to work nights a lot when we lived on land, so my spidey senses were always on alert. Any weird noise and I was holding my breath, scared to make a sound for fear someone was in the house. I knew if I called him and told him I was scared, he would make me walk through the house and check things out....so, most of the time I didn't call him   I would just lie really still and hope I fell asleep before hearing any other noises. 


Well, last night, I was startled awake by what felt like someone stepping on the boat. Then I heard what sounded like a grunt {this is where I imagined someone trying to pick up & move our incredibly heavy cooler} followed by voices. I was convinced someone was in the cockpit handing things over to someone on the dock. I just thought I was alert on land, but my spidey senses kicked in and in high gear, at that!! I sat straight up, which startled hubs enough to wake up and I told him, someone is on the boat. He listened for a few seconds and told me it was the wind. I wasn't convinced! I told him if anything was missing in the morning, he would know that I was right and he was wrong.....that, was enough to get him out of bed and go check. {he doesn't like to be wrong. In fact, if he was writing this post, he would go as far as to say he is never wrong. But he's not writing this post, I am! And I am usually right. :) so, that would mean he is, well, you see where I'm going with this. } 

Of course, everything was in its place and it was most likely the wind. But still... Someone has to be aware of our surroundings! 


No comments:

Post a Comment