July 24, 2014

Making boat life simpler

Let's face it, no one loves laundry day, but it's a part of life that never goes away.  Whether you live in a house, on the street, or on a boat....there's always clothes that need washing. It was a sad, sad day, when my beautiful, front-loading washer & dryer and I parted ways! :{ 
I knew, even if I could manage to fit them on the boat, they'd most likely sink us. So I said my goodbyes and was smart enough to leave them with my mom, so at least I could visit them from time to time! ; ) 

Now that we live here, I have to take our clothes to the on-site laundromat. And after lugging our costco-sized, jug of detergent {because of course, we had just stocked up on all our household items a week before we found out we were moving} up there with approx. 3 loads of laundry in tow, a few times, I decided, never again were we buying the liquid detergent, unless it was in individual-use packets.....and who has money for that?! Not I. 

Amazingly, I found Tide powder on sale for pretty cheap, so yeah, I bought it and kept it in the trunk of my car until we'd used up the liquid stuff. Well, almost all the liquid....I'm sure we'll use it all up once we run out of the Tide. 

My sister actually gave me the great idea of putting a loads worth of soap into small ziplock bags....so, that is what I did! 
Less than five minutes of effort and now I have my own version of individual-use, laundry, detergent packets!! 
Laundry days are a little lighter with these bags, versus the whole jug/box of detergent in tow. I just grab one for each load and the clothes and we're off for our dock walk to the marina laundromat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment