July 7, 2014

Boat Project #1 - icebox to mini-fridge

When we bought Irie she was outfitted with an icebox in the galley. For those of you who think like me, this is not an old-fashioned name for a refrigerator, like something my Mamaw & Papaw would have said. Quite the opposite in fact! An icebox is, literally, a box that holds ice....and food/drinks. Anything you want to keep cold, not frozen, just cold....as long as you keep adding ice, that is. 
That is my galley. The red arrow is pointing to the location of said icebox, not easily reached as you may notice. After weeks of wasting money on ice and throwing out food and fussing {almost} every time I had to get something out of there....hubs decided we should buy a fridge. I, for one, did not oppose his decision. Now, we had to go with a mini fridge because well, our whole lifestyle has gone mini....mini house, mini storage, mini rooms, mini kitchen....you get the picture! We had only one place that we could make the fridge work, but we would have to remove these three drawers....that were currently holding dishes. 
I decided I wanted a fridge more than I wanted three drawers and that is what I got....thanks to a little room on a credit card! ....Here's hubs installing my darling, new, mini-fridge!! 
Of course, I didn't get pics of him actually cutting the whole bigger to make room for our new fridge, but that's probably because I was busy holding my nose from the horrible smells.....FYI - fiberglass stinks something awful when being sawed into. 
Here is an awkward shot of our newly installed fridge!!! Ain't she a beauty?!?! The only drawback I've noticed thus far, is, when your local grocery store has 1/2 gallon Blue Bell on sale for only $2.99 and your mini fridge has an even mini'er freezer.....it's times like that that make me miss having a freezer, but I suppose that's a whole other post & most likely, a whole other boat away. 

You maybe wondering where the dishes are being stored now that we took out the drawers. Turns out, that icebox is pretty handy for storing dishes! And, it holds way more than those three drawers, combined. I'd say that's a win-win!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi There Neighbors!!! We're over on Dock 14...first boat on the left...S/V Sea Casa. Nice to see your post. Will follow your progress on your boat. Are you loving your frig?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Diane - thanks for stopping by! Yes, I am absolutely loving my fridge...so much better than the ol' icebox fridge. : )

    ReplyDelete