December 17, 2015

Keeping busy....decorating vs. organizing


There's no reason why you can't decorate when you live on a boat....you just have to be more creative about it! 

Now every female of a liveaboard couple knows, you can't drill any holes in the boat for decorating purposes. {I use a lot of tape and command hooks} Although, if you ask me, I'd say that in a way, hubs was "decorating" the cockpit when he drilled eight holes to hang the lines up in this very organized way.

....but what do I know?! ;) The lines do like nice though, don't they?! 

      FYI: rope is referred to as line once it's brought onto the boat. No, I don't know why normal words all have a new word that means the exact same thing, other than sailors want you to learn a whole new language whilst also learning a whole new hobby. Left is port, right is starboard and rope is line. Why can't it just be left, right and rope?? I don't know, maybe there's a Rosetta Stone somewhere out there that teaches the sailing jargon. I could play it when I go to bed each night and get in some valuable sleep learning time!!

-rant over-

He did allow me a few holes to hang up a spice rack. Which helped clean up the space so much! I went from this bowl of my 'most used' spices....
 
To this neatly organized spice rack!

I think what it really comes down to is, the wording. If I say I want to hang up a pretty picture for decorating purposes, it's a no go on drilling holes. But, if I want to organize the boat in order to keep it neat and tidy looking....that just might me the magic phrase. :)

For the jazzed up galley cabinets above, I used a decorative tape. It's like contact paper, but instead of large sheets, it comes in a small roll {similar to duct tape}. 


 Simply remove the hardware, affix the tape, replace the handles and there you have it!!


I have big plans for the bathroom{head}, if only I can remember where I bought the tape in the first place. Haha! 

Until next time....

2 comments:

  1. Looks good. Wonder if the Caribbean weather will cause the tape to come off? My double sided outdoor tape to hold pictures up seems to work so maybe it will last. Or you can change it later, That is always fun. It is important to keep busy with projects otherwise life gets a little bundane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a clever idea with that decorative tape - looks great! And I can completely relate to having to learn a new language if you have a boat. I can barely tell my left from my right as it is, once I have to start calling them port and starboard, I'm completely lost. :-)

    ReplyDelete