September 29, 2016

Our tips for liveaboard newbies:

Being at a marina means we see a lot of peeps come and go! Some are seasoned sailors and some are liveaboard newbies, just like we used to be....though some days, I still feel like a newbie!

When we moved onto our first boat there were two ladies here that welcomed me and taught me everything they knew about living aboard a boat....and trust me, there is so much to learn and know. It goes way beyond just learning to live in a small space! They are out cruising now, but I have tried really hard to pass on what they taught me and things I've figured out that works or doesn't work.


In no particular order....

Remove all most cardboard | I've heard several reasons for this one, like bugs are attracted to the glue that hold the box together and/or bugs like to live in between the folds of the box. In any event, I'm not cool with bugs taking up residence in my tiny home, so I remove almost all cardboard from the boat. And what does remain, gets checked often for any unwanted visitors

While we're on the bug topic: peppermint oil is great for keeping spiders away | I'm not really scared of spiders, but I also don't want to live with them. And because we are living full time at a dock, there are always spiders around. So I use peppermint oil to keep them at bay! I have a couple battery candles in the cockpit and I pour the oil on the tops of the fake candle trays, but you could also use a cotton ball or a small lid to hold the oil. 

Detergent as a head/tank cleaner | when we go to the pump out we like to rinse out the tank with liquid detergent (and water) after pumping out the stuff that needs pumping out. So after you've pumped out your tank, pour a healthy amount of liquid detergent in the tank and then fill with water. Now pump out the soapy water mixture and you're all done! We also pour a little detergent into the head after pumping out to help clean the bowl and keep smells to a minimum. 

Vinegar | this stuff is basically liquid gold when you live in a boat! Ok not really, but it is super versatile and used almost daily! 

Bleach is a big no-no | boats have lots of rubber hoses and bleach will eat away at the hoses and overtime you'll have a much bigger problem than a dirty boat. So when you think of bleach, think only for laundry! As long as you're doing laundry at the marina or laundromat and not in your sink!

Get to know your area | we will be here for a couple more years, at the least, working and saving money towards our cruising departure. So it is important to know the area you're in and where to get the best deals. I cook most every night on the boat, but when we do go out, we like to catch a good deal! Different area restaurants usually have weeknight specials and we know where to go for the $2 tacos or the $6 ribeye steaks!!  So learn your area and figure out where you can eat out on the cheap! 

Free table | the liveaboards at out marina (and several others) usually have a  designated area or table where you can get rid of anything you're not using anymore and in turn, pick up something you may want from the table. Just be sure to find out where said area is, I've heard a few peeps say they didn't know that was a free table, left what they were working on to go grab something from the boat and came back to find their stuff gone. :/ Yeah, not good! 

Cook with pork sausage instead of hamburger meat | on our last boat {baby Irie, if you will} we had the teeniest, tiniest freezer. This is where I made the switch and I began cooking solely with pork sausage. I quickly found out that I was throwing out more hamburger meat than I was using....and that stuffs not cheap. The benefits of using pork sausage are the many different flavors, the cheaper price, the fact that it doesn't have to be frozen & lastly, 9 times out of 10, there's no grease to drain off after cooking it, so less work!! 

Thinking outside the box | living on a boat means you have to get pretty crafty when you need a trash can in the bathroom. Especially when the only flat piece of real estate on the head floor to hold this is approximately, three inches by ten inches. Yeah, inches!!! The good news is, those plastic cereal containers with a lid that includes the flap lid part {where a normal person would pour the cereal from} are usually the perfect size to make into a trash can for a tight spot! Just make sure to always use a small trash bag as a liner and never try to reuse it for food, ever!! 

I know there are so many more, but this is a good start for now! 

So tell me, what are your tips & tricks??




No comments:

Post a Comment